Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Man Called Peter by Catherine Marshall

A Man Called Peter by Catherine Marshall I just loved reading this book. In fact, I delayed reading the ending because I just didn't want to say goodbye to people I came to think of as friends. Catherine covers her husband's life in detail to give the reader a chance to know him on a personal level. Her love and admiration for him comes through every page. Peter was a very popular preacher who preached at New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington, DC (aka "Church of the Presidents.") He was also a chaplain to the U.S. Senate. People flocked to hear him speak and lives changed because he allowed God to use him. He maintained a sincere heart for the things of the Lord. His prayers were short and simple in comparison to many "great" spiritual leaders, but so heartfelt they changed the lives of those who heard them. He was a man of great faith and is a role model for Christians today. Catherine gave us a special gift in letting it be revealed that Peter was also a human being with imperfections. This makes his walk with Christ even more impacting to readers. There is a movie based on this book by the same title, but I am sure they left out many important aspects so I'd grab the book first. I am saving my copy of A Man Called Peter so my children can read about this man's life and his impact on the world around him for Christ. It will be required reading for our high school students.