Monday, December 17, 2007

How to Remove Wallpaper Border without Chemicals or Tools




I just finished doing this and it was so easy, I wanted to share. This wall boarder was installed on a semi-gloss painted wall about 4 years ago. You do not need the scoring tool or the chemicals. Here's what I did.
#1 Searched the internet for tips. Found many, discarded all and went with my own idea, which is usually how I do things.
#2 Peeled the vinyl layer off of the border by pulling evenly and gently. When I got a tear, I stopped and fixed it so I could pull it off together. Removing the vinyl will let the water get to the glue. This vinyl is what the scoring tool pricks holes in so you can get the chemical to the paper and glue layers. Several people and home decorating shows have said this tool is not effective.
#3 I got the paper very wet with hot water. Cold water would work, but might take longer to penetrate and soften the glue. The trick is to get it VERY wet to fully dissolve the glue. Have someone under you with a towel to catch drips. I didn't worry about it since we washed the wall afterwards.
#4 Peel slowly and evenly and it comes off almost whole. I washed over the wall to remove the glue residue. The entire room only took me 20 minutes from start to finish.