Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hyperemesis Gravidarum and Heart Palpitations

I am still having the heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I had planned to try to walk today since I am feeling better, but gave that up after a bad "attack" this a.m.

If you were to run as fast as you could for as long as you could and then stop...that is how my heart feels. Only, I am usually sitting down or barely moving and it takes off on its own!

I kind of thought it was due to the anti-emetic (50 mg of Unisom) because I noticed it came after certain times. We did some research and yep, that's it!! Heart palpitations and other cardiac issues are attributed to the dose I am taking. Now we know why I had them at the end of the pregnancy with Emily. Knowing why something is happening makes it easier to deal with, imo.

I mentioned the hp to the OB when I was carrying Emily and he was unconcerned. "Some pregnant women get them...it's considered normal...will go away after delivery." That made us think I just had to live with them. I now know there is a cause and can figure out a way to get them to stop! PTL!

The hp and breathing issues are far worse to deal with than the vomiting. But, I can't afford to not take something because my throat, esophagus and stomach have a lot of wear and tear on them already. While I stay on the medication, I throw up about once a week and have about two bad days. I am still bleeding and hoarse off and on. If I go off of the medication, I get sicker more often.

We are going to wean me off of the Unisom and try Benadryl for a while. If that does not control the vomiting, we will try a combo of both and see what happens. We really do not want to go to a prescription drug as many of those are not labelled for use during pregnancy and have health risks to the baby.

Our prayer is that the nausea and vomiting goes away and HG will be a thing of the PAST for this pregnancy so I no longer need any medication.

The pregnancy is going well, but I have to do what I am suppose to do keep the vomiting infrequent. My spirits are up the majority of the time and I am able to have more of a life this pregnancy. I do get frustrated when I have to spend a day or to lying around because that is just not in my nature. I still wish HG was something tangible so I could get a bat and beat the tar out of it!! :-)