Monday, August 10, 2009

Sunset at the Farm



Posted by Picasa
I went from the compose view to the html view and it messed up the spacing between paragraphs again.
It's going to be a HOT one today with a heat index of 105-109. Yuck!
I am canning, freezing and drying produce from the garden this week. There is such a satisfaction in growing and preserving your own foods. I love to count the green peppers and then add up the savings. (I refuse to pay $1 per green pepper in the grocery store.) I am growing green peppers, eggplant, strawberries and flowers on the deck this year.
Homeschool is going along, but not quite to a full schedule yet. I am testing Brandon and Amanda this week. I am making learning books of Math facts and other memory lessons for Bethany and Caleb this week too.
I am going to make a few more batches of soap and then will dry off our last milking goat. I had thought she was dried off earlier, but she had a full udder when I went outside one day. I will be thankful to have one less chore to do every day.
Our needs for milk (food purposes) are more than a goat can produce now, so we are looking into purchasing a cow next spring. My grandfather had them when I was growing up and I often fed the calves with a bottle, but I really know very little about them. I still like the way the calf formula smells.
I found nice looking, but inexpensive curtains for the master bedroom at Walmart. For $30 and a little time hemming the length, I'll be done with that room. Now to figure out what to do for the kitchen windows. I have the old double hung windows with the lead weights right over the kitchen sink. It's hard to get Clint to find time to remove the storm windows so I can clean them, so they always look horrible. I am unable to do it without his help. Easy to clean windows would be such a blessing. Clint says he plans on replacing all of the windows yet, but he wants to wait until we have finished adding on to the house first.
We have more chicks hatching out of the incubator today. This will be the last clutch for a few weeks. I lost an entire load of eggs when we had a series of power outages a couple of weeks ago.
Clint and Brandon went to the parts yard in Chesterfield Saturday. They had a really good time together.
Please keep Luke and his family in your prayers! Your little prayers can make a big difference in another's life.

To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice. Proverbs 21:3