Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Grass is Not Greener on the Other Side...

My Facebook post yesterday was:

The grass is not greener on the other side. It's an illusion created to take you out of the safety of the fence.

under that, I wrote in response to a comment:

I'd rather stay inside the fence where life is filled with blessings than be out there on my own where the lion seeks to destroy and the wolves roam in a pack.

My friend Susan H. shared:

Proverbs 25:28 tells us that someone without self-control lacks defenses - it's like the ancient city walls, and Satan knows just where the loose stones are.

"We are the temple of God... and self-control is our wall of protection! It fortifies all that is within. the quality of self-control is .... that which secures our freedom to love, to experience joy, to know peace, to respond with patience, to have a kind disposition, to act out of goodness, to step out in faithfulness, and to agree with gentleness. (The various other aspects of the Fruit of the Spirit) How? Because self-control is the ability to make choices which invite and enhance the authority and filling of the Holy Spirit. Self-control is the decision to remain within the boundaries of victory!" Beth Moore, Living Beyond Yourself


My thoughts:

Much like I put up a fence to keep my goats safe from predators and poisonous plants, God gives us His commands, not to limit us, but to keep us in safety. When my goats got out of the fence, they were attacked and died with great suffering. When we ignore God's commands and go our own way, we put ourselves at risk spiritually, emotionally and physically.


1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: