Saturday, June 12, 2010

Wild Animal Burrows



I looked in my copy of Tracking and The Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign written by professional wildlife consultant and animal tracker, Paul Rezendes, who is considered a leading expert in the field, and learned this is probably a skunk burrow that was made close to the children's play area. I have not found any tracks or scat around the sites. I've managed to find a few more of these...the hard way. This particular site was dug out more where we had removed a post. My Junior Trapper, Amanda, is very excited! A skunk is one of the few things she has not been able to catch and release in her Havahart Traps. In this case, I am OK with her being disappointed. If she does catch one though, I will rise to the occasion and help her all I can.

The book has color photos of each animal, pictures of its feet, drawings and pictures of tracks and trail patterns they leave, pictures of burrows, scat and other useful information like where to look for lays. All of my children LOVE this book! I've had it for about two years and have not had a chance to really look at it until today. The children have kept it constantly moving around the house!
Posted by Picasa