Friday, January 06, 2012

January 2012

We were ahead of schedule with the school work, so we took the whole month of December off of homeschool. It was a nice break! We baked and decorated cookies, decorated the house, played games, and enjoyed the down time with each other.

Per tradition, Clint and I took down the Christmas decorations while the children were playing with their toys. I have found it is easier to do it while Clint can help. If I wait, it is hard for me to find time to get to it.

We started school back on the third of this month which was when Clint had to go back to work. Being on a schedule is easier than not. My children know what to do on a school day and do not usually have to be prompted. Being off the routine is more challenging. The house gets messier quicker, and I have to remind everyone of the things they need to do to keep our family functioning.

Clint has to work some overtime so we can redo our bathroom. We are down to one working toilet. The bathroom with the working toilet had an electrical problem several weeks ago. So, the light doesn't work. We have all of the items to redo the bathroom already, but we did not anticipate a wiring issue too. Now we have to tear out walls too.

My homeschooled son, Brandon, continues to be in the top of his classes in college!!! He aced another math test yesterday! He was the only one to solve a tough Geometry question in class, so his teacher gave him 10 points to apply to any exam. He plans on adding to the final. When he succeeds, I feel like I succeed because I taught him. I knew he was capable of this, but I did not expect the satisfaction it would bring me. Reaping the blessings of obeying God's leading to homeschool has been very sweet! Seeing Brandon excel in academics has renewed my determination to give my other children the best education I can.

I asked Brandon if he felt his homeschool education prepared him well for college. He quickly and firmly answered "YES!" He said he felt it prepared him better than the other student's experience. He is appalled by the rudeness and lack of interest. He told me he wants to give his children what I gave him.

Amanda graduated high school last year and is planning to start college soon. She has been praying about what to do. She has a couple of things she is contemplating. I am enjoying the blessing of extra time with her.

I had to cut Hannah's hair last night. Her fine blonde hair is still sparse but she had a long lock of hair that was resting on her forehead. She came to me after I trimmed the other girl's bangs and said "Please cut mine too, Mom!" I tried talking her out of it four times; she was not having it. I saved the bits of hair. The other day, as I cuddled her to me, I said "You are my baby, Hannah." She said "I am not a baby, Mom. I don't wet my pants anymore; I am a big girl!"

I have one child leaving behind his childhood as he starts his adult life. I have another child leaving behind her babyhood. It's nice to see both of those periods of development at the same time. It's also a little sad. I am enjoying my mothering adventures!

****

Clint and I love our friends. When we get knocked down, they reach out a loving hand, pull us to our feet, dust us off, give us a hug, and say "Go forward; you can do this!" We know some of the best people in the world. Thank you for all of your kindness.

 "If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you."  – Matthew 6:14