Friday, September 28, 2012

Concussion

Amanda cried out for us last night as she walked into our room. Her knees buckled from under her. I rushed to catch her, and Clint rushed to help me. We walked her backwards and laid her on our bed. For just a few seconds, she was non responsive. She said she was dizzy, and her skin was clammy. About two hours previous, I had noted her color was looking off, so I told her to rest. Before this point, she had felt fine and was being her normal happy self.

She told us she was sitting at her computer in the dining room when all of a sudden she felt very weird. She became dizzy, nauseous, and had a "weird feeling." She stood up to come tell us, and it became much worse. She gripped the table and kept trying to get to our room. Once she nearly fainted in front of us, we picked her up, put her in the car, and drove straight to the ER without any delay.

At the hospital, they gave her another assessment and sent her for a CT scan. The CT scan showed no bleeding on the brain. There is a very slight risk of a brain bleed that is too small to pick up, but it is rare. They said her concussion was worse than originally thought. Her BP was a little low, so we are to force fluids. The symptoms she is having can happen for up to 3 weeks, but should become less severe over the course of that time. She can't drive for 3 weeks and has to be carefully watched during the next few days.

I sent messages to many friends asking for prayer support. I apologize for scaring anyone. I did not know what was wrong with my child and know the power of the God who answers prayer. Thank you for being there for us.

I answered texts until the doctors came in. When I got home, I turned my phone off. It is still off. I am exhausted. I need some rest so I can be there to take care of my child. That does not lessen my appreciation of your concern or efforts to reach out to us. 

Romans 5:3-5 "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."