Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Homemade Window Cleaner

This the recipe I have used for window cleaner for close to 25 years:

1 cup distilled vinegar
1 cup clear ammonia
1 cup isopropyl alcohol
1 tbsp dish detergent

Pour through funnel into one gallon container. I use recycled vinegar bottles. Fill the rest of the way with water.

When I need a new spray bottle, I purchase window cleaner from the dollar stores. You can't beat a new sprayer already filled with cleaner for $1. These sprayers last much longer than the empty spray bottles I have purchased. I have even tried industrial bottles and found they don't hold up as long.

Sometimes I leave out the alcohol if I do not have it on hand. Adding it boosts cleaning power and helps the cleaner evaporate which helps eliminate streaking.

When I make my cleaners, I make several gallons at one time. To me, it makes more sense to pull everything out once and make enough to last a good while than to make smaller quantities every week or two. It saves me a lot of time. I try to keep around 15 spray bottles on hand so there is always plenty filled and ready to go into helping hands.

One of the most important rules you can follow when making your own products or medicines is LABEL EVERYTHING CLEARLY WITHOUT FAIL. It's a safety thing. Your family is worth that extra few minutes to grab a permanent marker and make a label. I write the recipe right on the bottle too. Sometimes I will mark the line for each ingredient as it is added so all I have to do is pour.