Saturday, November 03, 2012

How I "Make" Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I've been doing this for many years because it works better for us than the commercial products. I just add a little dish detergent to the dishwasher. Yes, the liquid dish detergent that you use in the sink. Just a tiny amount will do the job...about 1/4 to 1/2 TEASPOON. You have to be careful because too much will lead to suds and leaking. For this reason, I do not allow my children to "eyeball" the amount. I make them use a measuring spoon every time. 

In addition to this, I fill a 1 cup measuring cup with vinegar on the top rack for a rinse agent. Adding it to the dispenser did not work for me. I do not think it was enough for our extremely hard water. 

We scrape our dishes, but do not rinse them. I read in a magazine years ago the grease in the food helps the gaskets and seals on the dishwasher to last longer, but this doesn't mean we should put gobs of grease in our dishwasher either. 

Think of your homemaking as a craft. Spot problems. Seek solutions. Experiment. Learn what works for you and what doesn't. Above all, have fun and work joyfully! 

I Thessalonians 5:16 Be joyful always