Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Article: 6 Secrets Special Needs Moms Know But Won't Tell You

One thing all of us can do is learn how to show compassion and support to our friends with special needs children. This article comes from a mother of a special needs child and offers insight on how to do that:

1. Special needs moms are lonely. I yearn for more time with friends and family. I have an authentically positive attitude and most often you see me smiling. I may even look like I have this SuperMom thing down, am super busy and have enough help. But I am lonely. Being a special needs mom doesn't leave me the time to nurture and maintain the relationships I really need. I could get super detailed here about the hands-on caring for my child. (Do you remember when your kids were toddlers? That hovering thing you had to do? It's that plus some.) The plus-some includes spreading my mom love around to my other child and my husband, who on a daily basis are put on hold, waiting for my attention. I don't have much time to call or email my friends and even family ... and if they don't call or email me, well then I feel massive guilt about the time that has passed. More negative stuff that I pile on my shoulders. Getting out is tough. I miss the days when I had playgroups with other moms, open-house style, dropping in and drinking coffee at a friend's kitchen table with my child playing nearby. (read the rest of the article here)