Monday, July 08, 2013

Homeschool Day 1 Year 18

Today starts our 18th year of homeschooling! I started teaching Brandon preschool in 1995. It has been an amazing and extremely rewarding journey! I have no regrets whatsoever about the path we have taken for our children's education. The fruit of a closer family, great academic test scores, and strong character in our children far, far, far outweigh the extra work of homeschooling. 

By time all of my children graduate, I will have in 30+ years! I look forward to the many memory making learning moments. I am so thankful to have had all of that extra time with my children and for knowing them on the level that I do. What a precious and rare gift in today's society!

When Clint first told me about homeschooling, I was uncertain. God convicted me that I had taken the time to find a Christian man to marry and raise a family with, but I wasn't trusting him to lead. I had many questions and took those to the Lord. For every question I had, God had an answer. Here's a few:

How will I do such an enormous task? "You won't do this. I will do it through you." Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

What will everyone think? "You should only care what I think." Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe. Galations 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

But don't I need to work too? "I provide for my children." Philippians 4:19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.


Won't our family and children be different from everyone else? How will we fit in? "You aren't suppose to fit in because I have called my people to stand out as different." Ezra 10:11 Now honor the LORD, the God of your ancestors, and do his will. Separate yourselves from the peoples around you Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

We are in the reaping stage. Almost every where we go, we receive compliments on our children's behavior, academics, work ethic, or some positive character trait. Our family stands out...for good things for God's glory.  

I am so thankful my husband followed God's leading on this even when I was hesitant. Clint led us to where God was pointing even when everything else was pointing us in the other direction. It offended people. Some were openly harsh and critical. Lean times came and went. We kept our eyes on the Lord and worked hard together. 

I would not have wanted to miss this journey for anything in the world! It has given us great joy and has shaped our faith, marriage, family, and children's lives for the better. 

The best part is that we are seeing results in our adult children while we are still educating our younger children. This motivates and encourages us to work harder and do better. The rewarding journey is not over, but now we see where we are going!

Thank You, Lord! Thank you, Clint!