Monday, February 03, 2014

Explains Chronic Illness

When we got to the end of her pretend day, she said she was hungry. I summarized that she had to eat dinner but she only had one spoon left. If she cooked, she wouldn’t have enough energy to clean the pots. If she went out for dinner, she might be too tired to drive home safely. Then I also explained, that I didn’t even bother to add into this game, that she was so nauseous, that cooking was probably out of the question anyway. So she decided to make soup, it was easy. I then said it is only 7pm, you have the rest of the night but maybe end up with one spoon, so you can do something fun, or clean your apartment, or do chores, but you can’t do it all.

Read the rest here.

This article has a lot of value in explaining the daily life of people suffering from chronic disease. The author's explanation breaks it down and makes it real to the reader in ways other explanations have failed. 

While hyperemesis gravidarum is not a chronic illness, but is a complication of pregnancy, this is the best explanation I have found for what my life was like during pregnancy. For me, the HG lasted eight months. Most days, I'd only have enough energy to take ten steps to the bathroom, do what I needed, rest, and take ten steps back to the bed. That was it. I had nothing else to give, and it was very frustrating to me as a woman who thrives on taking care of her family. Other days when I was able to effectively manage HG, I'd be able to do a couple of things, like cook a meal or fold laundry, but would have to rest afterwards. I'd put thought into what things I would choose to do. If I did too much, I paid for it and would need a couple of days to recover. I am thankful for my experiences with HG because it made me appreciate the blessing of health and gave me empathy for others who are struggling. 

Go easy on others. You do not know what life is like for someone until you walk in their shoes.