Saturday, February 15, 2014

Warmer Beds, Deeper Sleep

 photo ricebags_zpse9e3a6d3.jpg

I made our family 20 rice bags that can be heated in the oven. They are so easy to make. It took me about 45 minutes to make all of them once I had everything set up.

You need to use natural fibers to prevent melting. I used leftover cotton material and added ribbon loops so we could hang them. I placed dried lavender flowers in mine for a nice armotherapy effect. Avoid fragrance oils as they can start a fire. We used rice, but you can use seeds, beans, corn, etc. The more filling you use, the longer the heat will last. If kept under the covers, mine have lasted all night and are still slightly warm in the morning. We heat all of them at once in the oven inside of pans at 250 for about 45 minutes. You need to make sure the material is not touching the elements.

On cold nights, these are wonderful for warming up chilly toes and help promote deeper sleep. They make nice gifts too.