Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wonderful Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin Recipe

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

The night before Easter, I made 8 dozen muffins using this recipe as a base. They were delicious and moist. If you must cook with perfect measurements, stop reading here and try the recipe as published. If you enjoy flexibility and experimenting in your cooking, read on: 

I added ground flaxseed to the batter. Yum!

I added a little more yogurt and a bit of water because my batter was very thick. The drier batter I experienced might have been due to the distraction of dancing to 80s music with my children, or chasing them around with the spatula so I could hear their giggles, or Clint tickling me as he came through. ;-) I didn't measure what I added, but when I finished the mixture was a little wetter than a "wet/drop biscuit" dough. 

I did not have plain yogurt. I had Chobani Greek Blueberry and....Black Cherry! If I had run to the store, I would have probably chosen vanilla.

I also added a topping with pecans, oatmeal, and brown sugar. That was a crowning touch that everyone raved about! The pecans were more a pecan flour because Yiddee (Emily, 6) and Hannah, 5 were in charge of chopping those, and, well, they went a little crazy! 

I tend to bulk cook a lot because it makes sense to make extras once I already have the bowls and ingredients out. It's the same amount of time to get them out whether I bake one dozen or twelve. The oven is already warm and ready for work. Clean up is about the same as a small batch, so it saves me a little time here and there which adds up quickly as I strive to best manage my home. 

I bag the muffins by the dozen for my fab five which gives them two mornings of breakfast per freezer bag when scrambled or boiled eggs are added to the meal. My commuting trio enjoy having muffins bagged up in pairs in the freezer which makes a great grab and go breakfast or mid-day treat.