Saturday, I was working way out back when I heard Joshua yell, "Mom! Emily says Brandon sent her and Hannah out of the house because something is on fire, and the house is filling with smoke!!!" I started running (in the air cast) and shouting orders while dialing Clint's number, "Joshua get the others and keep them with you until you hear from me. EVERYONE GO TO JOSHUA NOW!" For this very reason, I've taught my children to obey at the first instruction. I knew they were fine so I fully focused on Brandon and the house.
The back room was clear of smoke, so I relaxed a little until I looked through the kitchen to the front of the house and saw thick smoke swirling and filling half the dining room. I knew the den had to be FILLED with smoke! I immediately thought of our 4,000 square foot barn and how fast it burned. Our house is smaller. "Lord, HELP!"
As I kept moving, now with my shirt over my face, I am shouting "BRANDON?!" No answer. "BRANDON!!!" No answer. At this point, I am afraid for my son and in full Mama Bear mode thinking "GET HIM OUT! GET HIM OUT!!"
He was breathing through his shirt too and conserving air to keep from taking a breath while he worked to stop it. He met me, gasped "I'm fine," and pointed to the door where we ran out together. An aquarium light cord failed. It sent out sparks along the wire as the plastic melted off. The cabinet's finish was damaged, and we had to air everything out and clean soot off of things, but that was the extent of it.
I am so thankful it happened during daytime, and that Emily saw it and reported it to Brandon immediately. If we had all been asleep or all working outside while the girls played upstairs, I'd hate to think what could have happened. Thank you, Lord! From the moment I called Brandon's name until he answered was only a minute, but it felt like hours!