Sunday, October 05, 2014

Where You Win or Lose Battles

The decision... 

to do the right thing for God's glory or 

just do the minimal to please yourself 

...is made in your heart.

Most of the time before we act, we have already given thought to what we plan to do. Act or delay. Love or hate. Rebuke or allow. Influence or be influenced. Share your faith or hold back. Give or keep. Honesty or dishonesty. Forgive or grudge. Repent or rebel. Join or oppose. Diligence or laziness. 
The victory or loss is almost always made in the mind/heart. I believe this is why the Bible has strong words for our thought life.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.

Proverbs 4:23 Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.

Romans 7:21-25 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Brothers and sisters in Christ, I appeal to you to engage in the battle. Our lives are short. We have a limited number of days and opportunities, and they pass us by in a blur if we do not jump for each one and grab ahold. 

I fall so very short of the mark, but yet I long to stand before my Savior and hear Him say, "Well done." I tell my children (and myself) to do the "heart work." It sounds a lot like "hard work," and it is hard work that requires effort and diligence. That mind battle is key because it is where changes are made and actions are determined. 

The same thoughts followed by the same actions equal the same results. God's way of thinking followed by God's way of acting equals God given victories and growth. The Bible has so much to say on this big battle. I encourage you, workman, to study the Word, so you will rightly divide truth and know how to control those thoughts to bring glory to the Lord.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.