Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Another New to Me

 photo quaileggs_zps7633c270.jpg
Quail eggs are very pretty.
They can have greenish or bluish hues to them also.

This year has been full of adventures and new experiences. Life has been exciting and very fulfilling in many different areas! In early November, I had another first for me: I hatched out quail from my own quail's eggs! 


I had raised quail from chicks before but had to give them up due to a rough pregnancy before I got any eggs. My first several attempts were a fail due to young birds and infertile eggs. Then, ONE hatched a few days early ...and it fell into the water pan and drowned! Argh! I was discouraged! 


Finally, one morning, 
I opened the door to check the humidity and shut it quickly to keep the temperature from dropping. Wait a minute! What?!! Did I see?! I opened the door again! PTL-Success! I had four quail hatched and more pipping!


 photo quail_zps01cbd709.jpg
Texas A&M Quail
These are very gentle birds that are easy to work with and grow a few ounces larger than the Georgia Giant.

 photo quail2_zps6b525016.jpg
Georgia Giant Quail
egg, chicks, quarter for size comparison

 photo quail3_zpsf82f947a.jpg
Texas A&M
quail a few weeks old in foreground


Numbers 11:32 And the people stood up all that day, and all [that] night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread [them] all abroad for themselves round about the camp.