Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Encouragement for Mothers

Originally published 1/3/06:

Knowing God's will for your life seems to be elusive for so many. For me, it was literally dropped into my lap. I asked God what He would have me to do with my life. Titus 2:3-5 was in one of my next Bible readings. The passage jumped out at me as if it was written for me and me alone. It was one of those rare but precious, breath-stealing moments that stand out as if it happened just minutes ago. I knew without a doubt I had found what God had planned for Wendy to do.

I have worked in many places and put my head, hands and back to many tasks. I have never found any that gives me greater satisfaction and joy than being a wife and mother. It is a job full of opportunities for personal and spiritual growth. 

My ministry to my husband strengthens him so he can fulfill his calling and allows him to minister to many others. When I show him honor, I show others he is honorable. Mothering my children will one day bless their employers, co-workers, friends, spouses and their own children. 

I am often challenged and taken to my limits. It is never boring and keeps me on my toes. I wake up every day knowing that I am needed. The things I am doing are important and worth my time. Mothering will touch many and its effects will touch generations, if done for the glory of the Lord.

God's Word tells us that children are given by Him as a gift, a blessing, a heritage, a reward. He means for us to receive them with that viewpoint. There are no stipulations or exceptions placed on those statements. God does NOT say "Children are a blessing, IF they are healthy/beautiful/come at a good time/the gender you desired/until they become teenagers/etc." It is worldly thinking humans who put the conditions on whether children are received as a blessing or a curse. 

Mothering is the nuturing of those special gifts, blessings, and rewards. It is a high calling with great importance. I encourage you to embrace your work as a mother. Plead for God's help when it gets difficult and praise Him in all situations. He will not let the work He has started in your role as a mother go unfinished. He will take your stumbling journey and turn it into something beautiful and perfect.

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10