Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Onion Soup

 photo onionsoup_zpsf0ac2ebe.jpg

I like onion soup. When I go near a certain restaurant, I will pick up a couple of 8 ounce cups of soup to bring home to enjoy later. It costs a bit over $12 for the two cups. I made these pints for about 50¢ each. That's a savings of around $11.50 per pint of soup. It took me four hours from start to finish to make 28 pints. The actual time involved was considerably less since I was able to do other things while the soup was cooking and the canner was running. For the sake of argument, we will figure four hours of work time. My total savings is approximately $322. Even with that high figure of time investment, that's like making $80 per hour! That doesn't figure in the other things I was doing while I waited or the other products I have canned or baked for the freezer this week. 

Knowing the value of the work I am doing is encouraging to me. My pantry is filling up, but the extra job and even faster than normal pace to my day wears me down. Figuring how it is saving our family gives me a boost to keep working. It might give you a boost to figure out what you are worth too, busy mama.

Dnn't forget the value God places on a godly living wife: 

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. 
Proverbs 31:10