Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Nausea and vomiting in the first trimester

Help! I am having nausea and vomiting in my first trimester and can't keep anything down!!! I am trying to eat healthy, but I keep throwing it all up!

I had severe hyperemesis gravidarum from 5 to 40 weeks with all of my pregnancies. I was on medication and IVs. Helpher.org is a hyperemesis support group which has a support board with a list of foods that are easier on the stomach. It is called Foodments. There are also volunteers who may be in your area. I was sent books and a list of HG knowledgeable doctors. As a volunteer, I have helped women in my local area. 

I also took Unisom and B6. The sleep center and vomit center of the brain are in the same area. Unisom and Benadryl are safe to take while pregnant, and it does help slow down the vomiting, but you will be sleepy. 

I was told by my doctor that the nutritional stores in my body would carry me through for a good long while. Your baby will get what he/she needs but it will come at your expense. However, if you have been taking care of yourself, my doctor said, it will be a while before you see any of the effects. I was told to do the best I could, eat what stayed down, and not to worry because my body would provide what my babies needed for the short duration.

If you would like prayer support, please drop me a message at the email in the header. Our family will be happy to pray for you and your baby.