Monday, November 20, 2017

Ever wanted to learn how to can your own foods? Go for it!

My job as wife and mother is to feed my family as healthily as I can as economically as I can. For about 20 years now, I shop in November for the best deals on turkeys and purchase as many as I can afford. I usually average about 20 turkeys. This year, combining discounts, I was able to get my quota of turkeys for .34 a pound. I purchased 26 turkeys this year.


2


I roast them, de-bone them, and then cube and pressure can the meat in my pressure canner. The skin and bones go into US Navy sized pots, and I make dozens of quarts of rich stock and pressure can that. The scraps of meat and vegetables at the bottom of the stock pot go into freezer bags to feed my dogs. The bones go to our hogs who gobble them up. It's rare I can purchase food that inexpensively and make it do so much.


1


Having meats, soups, seasoned and plain beans, baked beans, and roasts I made myself for my children to eat is my favorite form of "convenience food." I know exactly what is in each jar. I like canning over freezing because once the work is done, it can sit on the shelf for years and not cost me anything extra to store. They can open it and eat it straight from the jar (which they often do) or reheat it quickly. My husband and children love taking them to work for lunches. Co-workers usually get a few jars too. They also make great gifts that are always well received.

If you have not learned how to can but have been wanting to, take the leap and do it. Canning is easier than you think and not as risky as some people would lead you to believe. I taught myself in my 20s by following USDA standards.  I had no one to ask for help as I learned. I figured it out. I passed the skill down to all of my older children. My youngest two children are still learning. If we can do it, you can too!