Saturday, March 28, 2020

Dehydrating Chickweed

chickweed
We are dehydrating chickweed to turn into green powder for 
smoothies, medicines, and more. Our poultry and tortoises love to eat it too.

Knowledge is something no one can take from you. Do you have knowledge on how to keep your family alive and healthy during hard times? Can you correctly identify and harvest wild plants growing all around you for food and medicine?

 This simple and once commonplace knowledge can give you a lot of confidence during times of trouble. I've taught myself over the years this lost knowledge through many books, videos, online articles, and a few phone apps. When I was younger, I use to read fiction, but as I matured, I decided to redeem my time by learning things that might matter a lot to my family in the future. I am now passing the knowledge down to my children in hopes it will bless our future generations.

Chickweed is comparative to spinach in nutritional value. How much is spinach in the store? Would you like to get the same nutrition for free?

"Chickweed’s pretty packed with nutrients, especially for such a diminutive plant.  It contains vitamins A, D, B complex, C, rutin (a bioflavonoid), calcium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, sodium, copper, iron and silica.  In comparison with spinach, chickweed holds up extremely well.  It’s got just as much iron, along with other nutrients." source here

spinachorganic

At the time of posting this, Walmart was selling organic spinach for $6.72 a pound.

spinachpowder
Spinach powder is selling for right at $16 a pound on Amazon.

Harvesting wild growing chickweed is a bargain for the small effort it takes, 
but the knowledge of chickweed and how to use it is priceless.

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. Genesis 1:29-30