Monday, August 10, 2020

Tree Collard Cuttings


treecollards

I am getting a TON of questions regarding the purple tree collards, so I am posting pictures and info about them over the next few days.

These cuttings came from The Clayton Farm.
I also purchased seeds from them to start more.

I stored them in the fridge until I could get to them (about a day and a half).

I cut new diagonal ends with an alcohol treated knife and soaked them in water while I prepared the rest. 

I removed all except two leaves and dipped the ends in honey (kills bacteria that might prevent rooting).

3

I put them in plastic cups (20 ounce) filled with potting mix.
I watered them from the top to help remove air pockets with water that had the rooting aid pictured above.

5

Then, I reused plastic utensils to support a 1 quart freezer bag to help keep the cutting from drying out so quickly. We will see how it goes!

Update: They are looking good so far!