Monday, September 21, 2020

Update on Shonda

9/21: I was very heavily burdened for Shonda and spent most of last night praying. Shonda was again heavy on my heart when I woke this morning. Mid-morning, she was relieved of the many physical sufferings she endured for so long. The suffering was over, and she was with Jesus while the rest of us mourned. Her medical journey was a complicated one, and she often received substandard care. Because of her many conditions/complications, certain doctors were afraid to help her. She handled the pain, frustration, maltreatment, medical abandonment, and more with such grace. She leaves behind many, many people who loved her and were touched by her life. I first learned of her when we were both much younger and her name was getting around homeschooling circles because of her herbal medicine successes. 22 years have passed so quickly! I am thankful for all of the help, hope, knowledge, and wisdom she shared. I later purchased her books not only to help her career as an author, but because I felt they had value on my shelves. Many years later, I still have them. Our last online "conversations" were about the scars and  broken capillaries (due to vascular tumors) on her back caused by the vascular tumors all over her body and her pretty blue eyed grass. I told her that her scarred back was beautiful to me because "it tells a powerful story that gives testimony to the strength God gives believers." I'm going to try to grow some of that blue eyed grass because it will make me think of her and smile and remind me to pray for her family for years to come. Thank you all who prayed for her over the last few days. Please keep her family in prayer. She leaves behind her husband, 7+4 children, and eight grandchildren. 

itiswellwithmysoul

9/19: Shonda's pacemaker was deactivated yesterday morning. She has spent time sleeping and storytelling with her family. Pain management has mostly stayed on top of the pain. They ask for continued prayers.

9/18: Shonda says she expects to be in the arms of Jesus somewhere around noon. May the Lord make that so. Please keep her covered in prayer for a peaceful and gentle passing. I left home last night so I could have some solitude. Forgive me for not answering the phone or texts.

9/17: While surrounded by her family, Shonda will have her pacemaker turned off tomorrow. She could die within hours or it can take days. She cannot get any relief from the extreme pain because the tumors are so large they are cutting off supply to many organs. Simply put: the pacemaker is keeping her body going and is thwarting pain relief. We knew this was a possible outcome, and it is a situation those with life giving technology have to carefully think through. She says she is ready and asks us to pray for her family as they grieve. My heart hurts, and I will miss this dear Christian and the wisdom and knowledge she shares. She has fought so very hard and for so very long. She is so weary. She deserves her rest. Please cover her and her family in prayer. I will update this when she has her peace and rest. "It is well with my soul." -Shonda