Friday, October 09, 2020

Lending a Hand

helpingstrangerstiedownmattress

I don't share much of what we do for others, but this was such a nice encounter that I want to remember it.

As we were driving to our destination for a romantic getaway, I saw a woman and her son, who is a JMU student and friends with other JMU friends of ours, struggling with a boxspring that appeared to have come untied from the roof of her car. I asked Clint if he would mind giving them a hand. Clint hadn't seen them but said he would turn around and see what he could do.

When we arrived, we learned they had recently fell on hard times, were given a free mattress (in the car) and boxspring. They thought a couple of small bungees would hold it to their car for a 30 minute trip. Clint offered to buy them tension straps. He purchased two from a nearby auto parts store. Then, he tied it down, teaching them both how and what to tie loads to as he went. They were both grateful for the straps and the help! Being tired, I stayed in our car, but the lady and her son came to talk with me. Even Maggie, who travels with us, was thanked with lots of pets and sweet words.