Thursday, November 19, 2020

That Old House

oldhouse

I love old houses! I asked Clint to stop and take a picture of this one for me on a recent trek. He knew just which house I meant because it had stood out to him too. Here is a little of what I see...

The pier and beam foundation is still holding her up. Someone took the two chimneys out of the house. The roofline is fairly straight. The porch roof is missing. Guessing from the damage across the front, it might have had a porch deck at one time with the existing steps being added later. They must have had a dog because the bottom of the screened porch door is protected by a metal grid. There is a white porcelain base porch light. I think it goes to a light switch inside because I do not see a pull chain. It's been a long time since I've seen those old three board, spaced, board and batten shutters. The deciduous tree growing very close to the house is around 8-10 years old. 

When I see an abandoned property, I remind myself that Once Upon a Time, someone was so thankful to have the house built for them. Time passed, events happened, and the house was abandoned. Even still, in our world and even in the US, there are people who would be very, very thankful to have this home as it stands today.

Dear Reader, Another thing I am reminded of as I look at a run down home is that when we accept Jesus into our lives, we are the run down home. He is cleaning up all of our spaces working from the inside out. His is a more gentle transition. I am thankful that with Jesus I get better with time as He teaches, chastises, heals, and grows me. We need have no fear of being abandoned by Him. My love to all.