Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How to Make Yogurt

This is how I do it from goat's milk. If you follow my procedure, you are doing so at your own risk. You can use any animal milk or store bought cow's milk.

I do use unpasteurized milk but I am extremely careful when milking and handling the milk to ensure cleanliness to prevent illness. We do not pasteurize because it kills off so many good things that we need. We only drink and make yogurt from very fresh milk.

Every single thing the milk comes in contact with much be very CLEAN. You must "milk clean" meaning no hairs or dirt falling into the milk. We have never been ill from any of our goat's milk products.

Contrary to speculation, goat's milk does NOT have a goaty flavor or taste. If it has an off taste or smell, it has been handled improperly and is breeding bacteria. An internet search will reveal much information on why properly handled goat's milk is so very good for you.

I put the milk in quart canning jars and add 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of unflavored live cultured yogurt and 1/3 cup dry milk. The dry milk makes it thicker. You can also add 1 tsp of unflavored gelatin to increase thickness. "Real" yogurt is thinner than what we are accustomed.

I put the jars in a cooler and add 140F water. I close the jars and wait 10-12 hours...sometimes a little longer. I usually do this overnight and make 1 1/2 gallons at a time because that is what fits in the cooler I like to use. Then, you can do so many things with the yogurt.

Proverbs 27:27 And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.