Tuesday, June 03, 2008

SPECIAL People

I shared this with a friend today and thought the author's take on special needs people might bless someone...

My favorite adjective (vs label) for people with challenges is SPECIAL. They have difficulties the rest of us do not face, true. But, I believe with all of my heart that God is doing something SPECIAL through and with them. I'd prefer to use the term "Set Aside for a High Calling Not Revealed Yet" but that's a bit windy even for Wendy. :-)

I read this factional (part Biblical fact, part fiction) Christian book that developed the idea that God created people with challenges as a special race with a special purpose. The special person in the story who had so many struggles here on earth was a teacher to the rest of us Chrisitians in Heaven. The author's unveiling of this person as a teacher in Heaven was very profound. The author quoted Luke 13:30 (And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.) and remarked that the last in abilities might have special abilities in Heaven. I am not explaining it well but the author presented it in such a way it really had me thinking. I believe people with challenges contribute far more to our society than most people realize. I believe God created them for a special purpose that we can not see right now. I do not recall the title of the story, but it wasn't that great of a book...except for that one part that has stuck with me through the years.

Maybe the people we see as limited by physical and emotional challenges are Divinely gifted in other areas. Wouldn't that be just like the God we know?!

People will label others by how they view them, how their heart is and what their experiences are. This gives us a window into their soul and a general guide to know whom to shelter special children from.

God says children are blessings. He does not put qualifiers in those statements.