Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Thing About Mark

Thank you to EVERYONE who has joined us in prayer through Mark's illness. I have been asked how the family is doing and when Mark would be laid to rest. His obit is below. I have removed the identifying information to afford his family the privacy they deserve. His wife and children are with family in PA until early January. Clint had wanted to go to the service, but with me so close to having the baby, he did not want to be so far away.

Mark Xxxx Xxxxx, 53, of XXXXXXXX Va., died December 12, 2008, in his home following a brief illness. He was born January 11, 1955, in Kxxx, Pa., and was the son of XXX and XXX.

Mark was a fun-loving man, a devoted husband, father and a wonderful uncle. He will be greatly missed by his family and friends. Mark was employed as an electrician with Xxxx Inc., Williamsburg, Va. He graduated from Xxxxx High School in 1973, where he enjoyed playing football.

Upon graduation, he joined the US Navy as an Aviation Electronic Technician, deploying on the USS Forrestal and the USS Saratoga. While serving 20 years, he was awarded "plankowner" for being the 10th man assigned to a new class of amphibious assault ship, LHD-1 USS Wasp. He participated in Operation Desert Storm and retired from the Navy in Sept. 1993.

Mark is survived by his wife, Sheila; two sons, Christopher, Robert; and a daughter, Samantha Rose, all of Xxxx Va. He is also survived by three brothers, two sisters and several nieces and nephews.

A memorial service will be held...at 3 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008.

*****************
For those of you who joined us in praying for Mark, I wanted to give you a little bit of who he was. The thing about Mark that touched me deeply was his concern for his family. Through Clint, I learned Mark did not ask "Why me?" He did not have pity for himself or say he didn't deserve his illness. His concern was for his family. He knew his death would hurt them deeply and that reduced him to tears. He said THEY didn't deserve that kind of hurt. I love that a big, strong man who served our country and worked so hard to provide was tender to the needs of those around him while facing his own death. I have met most of the people my husband works with, but I never got to meet Mark. I feel like I missed out on meeting someone very special.