Monday, January 05, 2009

Where'd the Time Go? and a Colic Remedy

It is hard to believe on her due date that Hannah is two weeks old today! Time sure has flown, but we have been having a lot of fun with our newest blessing! She has already grown. We can see her gaining weight and growing longer.

Clint headed back to work today and I am missing my better half. We spent just about the entire time he was off side by side--separating only when we had to. We have been married for 20 years and still can't get enough of each other. We PTL for what He has done in our marriage!

As soon as I can get Hannah on a good schedule, I'll be starting the homeschool routine up again, reopening the online book stores and on baby watch for the goats. I also have to start making plans for the home elevation. I'll be busy!

I had planned to start homeschool today, but Hannah is not resting well at night. She is having bouts of gas that last until the wee hours of the morning. You can tell she wants to rest, but she's uncomfortable. She's not crying much, just squirming and having trouble relaxing. I sent Clint downstairs last night so he could rest for work, but I was up until after 4 a.m. I had spent all day upstairs so I have not checked e-mail on the main computer today.

Tonight, I am going to try a catnip and fennel infusion for Hannah. (The difference between an infusion and a tea is the amount of herb used and how long you let it steep. An infusion is stronger than a tea.) This is a colic remedy/gripe water recipe from my great grandmother's day that works to calm the digestive tract. I take half a handful of each herb, put them in a one quart canning jar and the pour boiling water on top of them. I put the lid on the jar, wrap the jar in a towel and let it steep for a few hours. Then I strain off the herb using clean cheese cloth, let it cool and give the babies the infusion by dropperfuls. I plan on trying one dropperful per 20-30 minutes with Hannah. This can also be used for older children too. I keep it in the fridge and use it for a few days before making it again. You can also use ginger, anise, dill, etc to make your own gripe water. I do not use baking soda (not recommended for children under 2), charcoal (thought to prevent absorption of nutrients in breastmilk/formula), or alcohol to make gripe waters.

We also use Hyland's Colic Tablets, but they have not afforded her much relief so far. They worked a small miracle with Caleb though.