Monday, June 15, 2009

Swimmer's Ear Home Remedies

We do not have problems with swimmer's ear, but a friend of our recently did. Here are the home remedies we shared with her.

I had a repeated incidence of swimmer's ear when I was a teen. The doctor I saw told me to tell my parents to not use such a strong mix of chemicals in their pool. I never told my parents that because I was afraid I'd get into trouble, but you might want to check your chemical usage and see if you are using too much.

You can make a homemade swimmer's ear prevention solution by mixing equal parts of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar, and apply to ear after swimming. This is much cheaper than the OTC preventions. This is what the doctor told me to use. The alcohol dries out the fluid and the vinegar kills the bacteria. Vinegar is a good antibacterial and makes and excellent household cleaner. You can make your own very easily and inexpensively.

If an outer ear infection is suspected, you can help it heal faster with hydrogen peroxide. The coldness will make the ear ache a little more initially and the bubbles will tickle. You'll have to be still for about 10-15 min while it works. When I am expecting I am more prone to allergies and ear infections so I use this quite often. I repeat it 1x.

For inner ear infections, I give our family echinacea and goldenseal (capsules @ Walmart for $5) and use Sudafed to help open the passage and help it drain. Echinacea cleanses the blood and boosts the immune system. Goldenseal is a natural antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral. I have not found an alternative medicine that works better than Sudafed to open passages.

Eat fresh or minced garlic on toast a few times a day and that will help kill an infection too. It also thins out mucus which helps it to drain easier.