Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy!!

calebsquash

Caleb with one of five baskets of produce from our garden.
You might also notice the mohawk on his head. I let Amanda take the two middle boys to her school so she could get credits for giving them haircuts. She thought a mohawk would be a fun joke to play on me and planned to later shave it down to the length she left the rest of his hair. I am a wise mother; I choose my battles very carefully. Faith, character, and safety are places I do not budge. A weird hairstyle doesn't even make me blink. I suggested he dye it red, white, and blue for the Fourth. THAT raised THEIR eyebrows!
 
 
Today, Joshua, Caleb, and Bethany learned how to blanche and freeze squash from our garden as they worked beside me. We worked fast and hard for an hour and put up eleven gallons of squash together. Freezing after blanching for three minutes is the method preferred today since research has shown there is more risk with canning squash. I prefer canning produce when possible because it doesn't require the additional cost of electricity to store, but I also choose to be safe with my family's health.

I am also continuing to dehydrate kale to make "kale chips." Those were a huge hit! We are also drying the ends of the produce and scraps for winter chicken feed and horse treats. The dried veggie scraps will also feed the guinea pigs, birds, bearded dragons, and the iguana during the winter. (Yes, my boys came home with a baby iguana!)


Proverbs 6:6-8 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.