Saturday, September 26, 2015

Changes and Choices

My first child, one of my seven greatest joys, has purchased a home and launched himself into full independence. While I will miss his hugs and kisses each night before bed and many other aspects of having him under our roof, I choose to give thanks and rejoice with Brandon over his success. 

I've had to let babies go so they could be cremated. While I was holding them, I knew that moment was all I'd get and I had better make it count. All of life is like that, really. Time is such a precious gift and should not to be wasted. When I started feeling a little sad about Brandon moving out, I reminded myself not to waste time. This is a season to embrace a normal and healthy milestone and to rejoice that we are given the gift of being able to see it. 

From observing my own young life and many others, I know there will be a busy time of learning ahead as Brandon tries to balance the many areas of his life. With a new home, big yard, a full-time job, and a side business, he is going to be very busy. It is a time for me look for ways I can best serve my son according to his needs. I think some mothers look for ways to serve their child according to her wishes. There is a difference, and I don't want to make that mistake. Other mothers don't look to serve but to be served. The women I've observed expecting their child to cater to their expectations have all been bitter and have strained the mother/child relationship. The best course I can set for this period in life is to try my hardest to emulate Jesus in serving and loving my adult child. 

A lot of things are changing, but our love for each other will only deepen through the years as Brandon becomes the man God wants him to be. I can either focus on what I am losing, or I can focus my energies serving and in rejoicing. I refuse to waste time lamenting over something that is a blessing. Instead, I'll get to work serving my son in the ways he needs and allows while drawing closer to the Lord so I can be more like Jesus.


For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. James 4:14b