Monday, May 28, 2018

Shelling Butter Beans and Peas (Work along side of your children)

When I was a child, we grew a garden a few years, and my grandmother gave us produce for many years. 

During the summer, when I was about 9-10,  I had to sit in the kitchen alone, in a hard chair, staring at the sink, no TV, no radio, no company, and was threatened time and time again not to make a mess. It was oppressive, and I felt like I was being punished.

I HATED it! 

I told my best friend at the time. She did it along side of her mom, and they watched TV together. She felt sorry for me and told me to throw some good ones in with the hulls to get finished earlier. I thought that was a great idea! 

Yep, I got caught and received a harsh scolding, a whipping with the belt, and a shunning for hours. "Stay out of my sight! I don't want to lay eyes on you!" 

Then I was reminded of my transgression every time we were given more produce.

However, I was never forced to do it again, so.. 

Smile!

More importantly, I learned from that experience! I learned to...

to work alongside of my children, 

have them all work together regardless of ages (even a two year old can pick things up and put things away) 

to make it fun not oppressive

and to give praise and encouragement. 

My children and I get a little messy throwing veggie scraps at each other and take a little longer than necessary because we might dance with songs on the radio, but we laugh and make happy memories that bond us closer. 

Proverbs 14:1 The wise woman builds her house...