Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Growing Lettuce in an East Facing Window

Girl, what are you growing here?
Specialty lettuce.
Tell me how to do it!
I tell you what, I'll take pictures and put it in the blog...


lettucerootskratky

I topped off the hydroponics solution and snapped a few pictures. 
One thing about the Kratky method I LOVE...seeing the roots!

lettuce 

Seed price: less than a tenth of one cent. I buy seed in bulk. 

Rockwool (.14), net cup (.30), jar (.50 from thrift store), newspaper (free from Willie), rubberband (free recycled from mail), pea gravel (.10 a plant)-all reusable dozens of times.

Consumable: hydroponic solution (approximately .26 a gallon)
 
Buttercrunch lettuce is a specialty lettuce and is $3 a head currently. 

buttercrunchprice
Each seed will grow three heads of lettuce, but the last two will be a bit smaller.

You can cut the first and second heads off leaving the base of the plant in the net cup. After the third head of lettuce grows, it gets too bitter and tough. 

I have 15 jars growing lettuce at different stages.

$135 of lettuce for a cost of next to nothing. 
It's a good way to practice stewardship!

This is a very frugal way to feed our family and some of our pets/livestock (tortoises, poultry, goats, rabbits).

Update: I have added more jars because the lettuce is being consumed so quickly. Hannah LOVES it!