Saturday, November 08, 2008

Time Warp: Back to the First Trimester?!!

I have had a horrible week that has been more like a first trimester than the third. I have been throwing up nearly every day which is more than I threw up in the first trimester of this pregnancy. I am not complaining because in many of mine, I threw up multiple times a day every day all the way through the pregnancy, so I am thankful it is not like that!

When I talked to the doctor about the increase in the level of sickness, he said I'd probably have this in waves until the baby comes. Lovely. Wonderful. ;-) I do not like that option and am praying for the hyperemesis gravidarum to leave me completely.

Dehydration has plagued me this past week, but I seem to have that under control. There was a few nights where I was close to calling it quits with self managment in favor of i.v.s. News reports about the prevalence of strep throat in our area kept me battling it at home. While not anything to get excited about, there is an alternative to exposing yourself to the germs in the hospital in the form of a hydrating enema. It's not pleasant, but neither is having HG and the flu or strep on top of it. It's quick, cheap and very effective. When I have used them, I have literally felt my body absorbing the liquid it needed.

I know there are several HG patients and a some midwives following along with the pregnancy and I've been asked if I attribute this flare up during the third trimester to anything specific.

When I had long periods of feeling fairly well, I became lackadaisial but as soon as I did, I'd get a "reminder" to mind my p's and q's.

Clint can often look at me and tell when I am starting to go downhill before I can feel it. He's also good at remembering what worked in specific situations and in recommending things to try. He's been called in and working more weekends the past month so I am not getting the feedback/reminders from him I usually get.

I have had to reduce the amount and sometimes take breaks from the antiemetic (varying dosages of Unisom) because it was causing depression. The doctor has offered me Phenergan, Zofran, etc, but the Unisom works the best for me with the long term I have to deal with HG.

Beyond that, I can not think of anything specific or anything I could do differently. I'll keep thinking on it and if something comes to me, I will post it.

I cracked Amanda up this past week. She heard me vomiting and came upstairs to help out and lend support. In the middle of being sick, I grabbed a breath and whispered "I think I am going to throw up." :-D

Well, I am able to move around more today, so I am going to praise the Lord for the break in the "HG storm", enjoy my children and do what I can while I can.

For the ladies who have HG, I am praying for you. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me. I covet your prayers.

Mark 4:37-41

And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.

And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?