Monday, November 26, 2012

An Out of the House Experience

In the 1970s, I used an outhouse at this farm. My "grandmother," the woman who took my mother in was sickly, and hired the lady and her daughter who lived in this house to help her clean. That lady was very kind towards me, and I enjoyed being around her and her daughter. I went home with them one day so I could play with the little girl. When I had to use the bathroom, I was taken out of the house to about where the playhouse is sitting in the picture. I was led into a very weathered shed and saw a built in bench with two holes cut in the seat. The holes seemed so big! I was afraid I'd fall in and where I'd fall wasn't pretty! I remember looking in the hole and saw lots flies and other bugs. Still, nature called loudly! I was able to overcome my shy bladder. The little girl and I kept our conversation going as we "made water." When I got back to my grandmother's I told her about the privy. She told me many stories because of that one experience. Now, my children love hearing this story. I am thankful for the experience, but I also appreciate modern plumbing!