Sunday, June 22, 2014

Article: The Downward Spiral of Defiance

"I want my own way. I won't quit until I get it. I don't care who it hurts. I will not listen to counsel. I am not concerned about the consequences." Those are the words of a defiant person. And they can come from our lips just as readily as from a person without Christ. They represent selfishness and stubbornness and indifference and resistance and contempt. As I mentioned earlier, defiance begins with carnal attitudes.
Continuing the downward spiral, the second inescapable reality about defiance is this: Defiance leads to personal misery. The defiant person wants freedom, but he finds himself captured. He wants his own way, but he finds himself ensnared by the restrictions that misery brings." Charles R. Swindoll
Read more about defiance and the harm it causes here.

If your god never disagrees with you, you might just be worshiping an idealized version of yourself. -Timothy Keller