Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Not in a hurricane or a flood or an earthquake:

My late grandfather, Rollis I. Bailey, worked in construction and could do just about anything you can imagine with wood. He gave both of his sons a trade and his natural skill has been inherited by my Caleb. Because my Pop was so proficient with building, he always noticed the quality of construction. One of my favorite memories of him was when we were burying a loved one. He looked around the mausoleum interior and quietly reflected on the poor workmanship in a low voice with great conviction, "I sure wouldn't want to be in here in a hurricane." I could not help myself; I laughed. I am still laughing over it nearly 10 years later. Every time I see shoddy construction, I hear those words in my head ...and sometimes repeat them.