Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Still At It

1

2
Bethany's favorite soup Chicken Curry Soup

In the past several weeks, I have been canning hundreds of pints and quarts in an attempt to clean out our big freezers for upcoming sales that I want to take advantage of in my ongoing effort to cut food costs. 

I have more jars to fill. My saying is "Empty jars are idle investments."

We eat very well and are able to share food with others. I do it on less than most families of four spend. I am thankful for the knowledge and good health that allows me to do it.

I wake up early, start the recipe which always includes fresh vegetables that need to be prepared. Then I prepare the jars and lids, fill the jars, wipe the rims, and put the lids and rings on them. It takes until late at night to finish processing. After processing, the jars are washed, dried, labeled, and put into storage. I am at it so much; I imagine I'm hearing the "chff chff chff" of the cooker while I am awake and asleep. 

It's deeply satisfying and rewarding work to have healthy cost effective meals on the shelf ready to heat and serve.

God blessed me for my hard work in a way that made me smile big. He sent us three free hams and a free turkey this week! 

If you've been waiting for me to reply to an email or phone call, it might be a while. I'm doing great, but I am busy and will be for a while. My love to all of you who call me "Wendy, Mrs. A., Mama Asbell, or Wendy Darlin'."