Monday, July 08, 2024

Not Junk or Stuff, Resources

purse1

purse2

A strong Christian told me once not to see things as "junk" or "stuff," but to call our possessions God-given resources. This way of labeling possessions fills us with gratitude for God's provision and helps us focus on being good stewards of what God sends us. Contrast this attitude to the wasteful and complaining ways of worldly thinking. I am reminded of the saying to not treat our blessings as curses.

A friend and neighbor moved recently and gifted us with a nice fridge. She is in her 70s and her husband recently died. This offer came right after the fridge in my spare room broke. God provides! So, we told her we'd happily accept the fridge and told her of God's timing.

When we got there, we learned she had much more to find a home for and her time was short. She had a garage full of furniture, lamps, and other household items that needed to go right away because the house had sold and they were closing the next day.

So, we volunteered to take the rest and let our family go through it to use what we could and then take it to Goodwill. She was so relieved and thankful. This worked out perfectly because Caleb and Elora were just married and have a new 4BR brick house to fill. 

After they finished going through it, the rest of the family picked out things they could use. We were able to find homes for 75% of what she gifted to us. The rest is in the back of my Suburban waiting for me to run it to the charity. I have a thank you gift for my friend and treats for her dog on their way to her new home.

This morning, I was trying to figure out how to put hinges on my feed hopper lids. The hinges need to be flexible to fit the rounded containers. I remembered the faded leather purse and grabbed it. I do not need to buy anything because I already have something that will work better than the flimsy products I found online. I am rejoicing because God knew my need before I did and provided for me. I am thankful I serve a God who answers our needs for big things like healing miracles and small things like homemade hinges for a DIY feed hopper.