Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What to do with Toiletry Samples

 a few of the samples we receive

Several years ago, I was camping and bathed in the shower house. Normally, I use our camper shower, but this campground was known for the clean showers and the oh so wonderful pressure of the shower head! A lady was in there at the same time. I started talking to her and learned she was homeless. She was living in her car while trying to find employment. She had lost her home after it was condemned due to flooding and had no where to go. She was doing the best she could with what she had. She told me a lot of the homeless use campgrounds all around the country. I learned homeless people at this particular campground used it very early in the morning. So, I started making up zipper freezer bags with sample soaps, shampoos, conditioners, hand lotions, etc to leave for these people. I added Christian reading material, meal coupons, and wrote a note letting them know we cared about them. I mark it as "FREE TOILETRIES" on the outside. It seems like such a small thing, but I learned from that lady that small things, such as a smile, a little time, a friendly voice, and a listening ear can mean so very much.

Clint and I also donate money well above the 10% tithe to well researched ministries and families we know that are facing financial challenges as the Lord leads. We do not make that much money, but the Lord has blessed our obedience by increasing our ability to give every year. We challenge you to trust Him and tithe according to His Word.

Proverbs 28:27 He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.