Friday, November 13, 2020

Why Pressure Can When You Can Freeze? (with a little extra)

Here's another canning question I was asked today. I think I've addressed this in the blog before. With the many new canners out there, I figured I'd post it again.

I've been through FEMA disasters: floods, fires, and hurricanes. When the power goes out long enough, the freezer assets are lost. We've had different companies for our home owner's during these events. Contrary to what many friends told me, our home owner's did not cover lost food in the freezer ANY of those times. However, my pressure canned foods were still good to go! 

Pressure canned items do not need cooking, just reheating which is quicker, saves electricity (or fuel). 

My husband and children like having Mom's healthy, prepared "fast food" on the shelf to grab and go to work or for a quick meal which saves time and money. It also keeps them eating healthier options. It's rewarding for me too. I can't tell you how warm and fuzzy it made me feel to see Amanda drop by, head to the pantry, grab a jar of my "Wendy's chili," pop it open as she sat down in front of me, and eat it straight out of the jar without heating because she had been craving Mom's cooking! 

Storing food on the shelf costs me nothing except space,* while the freezer continues to run increasing the costs of my food investment. I use to have three of the largest upright freezers available (large family, grow a lot of our own meats and veggies) plus two side by side refrigerators. I reduced my power bill by eliminating two freezers and put more money into canning. I have one large freezer now and use it to hold food until I am ready to can. 

Canning, pressure canning and water bathing, for me is not seasonal. It do it as the jars empty. My philosophy is that empty jars are small investments that are not working for me. They aren't filled with meals and are taking up space that could be used in a better way. My job as manager of my home is to make things work for the best of our family.

*I think of space as "inside real estate." You only have so much and need to make it work for the best of your family.