Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Sky Blue "Tunnel"

bridge
Robert O. Norris Bridge
"Norris Bridge"

I think it's kind of pretty.

My late paternal grandfather kept a high school art book in a small book shelf he made himself inside a home he built himself. I read the art book when I was around 7 years old. One of the first lessons in the book was on how to look for lines in everything around us. The second lesson was looking for shapes like circles, triangles, etc. One of the other lessons was about seeing negative space. Those lessons shaped how I "see" the world around me. That book very well may have been why I won the art contest a couple of years later for my drawing of Jesus' baptism. 

This bridge always has me thinking about lines, shapes, and negative space which always leads me to me thinking about that book and my grandfather. I don't know where he got the art book or why he kept it on his shelf. I don't know if he ever drew art, but I know he drew things he would later build from wood. He was very talented in many ways and passed on those talents to his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. My Caleb is so much like him in demeanor, woodworking, and music that it is at times uncanny.