Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Homeschooling While Dealing with Illness or Bedrest aka REDEEM YOUR TIME

This is my answer (with some additional thoughts) to a woman going through a challenging time with her health while she homeschools her 8 year old daughter. It is my hope it encourages and blesses someone else.


"I have been very sick and often bedridden through 7 of my 10 pregnancies. I kept homeschooling. I homeschooled a full schedule when I felt well enough and I made the most of those days.

When I didn't, I made sure the entertainment in our house was redeeming the time by making it quality educational entertainment. Videos, YouTube, unit studies, student driven learning, computer programs, LeapFrog and other educational toys, quality educational readers (aka Living Books), homemade tapes and booklets, them reading to me when I had to stay "flat," etc all helped get us through the tough times.

At times we would fall behind, but I trusted God had a plan for that in our lives. I have seven children now and teach five while I take care of two babies, cook and manage our busy household. The skills I learned through pregnancy work today for the normal busy-ness.

The children are caught up and are ahead of the traditional school schedule. They have learned so much through my rough pregnancies character-wise that I am thankful I kept going and did not give up homeschooling them. They have compassion for the sick. They are quick to see a need and jump to answer it. God uses the difficult things in our lives to teach us and mold us for His use. Make the most of these precious opportunities and continue to homeschool.

Redeem the time by making even "entertainment" educational. Life is short. Time is too precious to spend on useless (foolish) pursuits when there are things we can pursue that GIVE to us or others. Evaluate how your family spends their time and work to make it quality. Redeem your time!

When you feel well, multi-task. For example: If I am supervising one child who is cooking, I am washing dishes and cleaning behind them with a baby playing with the measuring cups and rice or pasta nearby. Another child is helping with mixing or measuring ingredients while someone else is reading the recipe while an older child may be looking up the science of the cooking we are doing.

You can do this, but it will be challenging. Your child's education and spiritual nurturing is worth it to stick with it even during the tough times."


Ephesians 5:15-18 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.