Wednesday, August 03, 2022

What I am doing this week to combat inflation

I am hearing it appears pork production may be slowing down even more in the future. In some processing plants, production is currently down 40% with much fewer trucks leaving. Where 15 trucks a day were leaving, now they have 3-4 a day. The fuel prices may be a contributing factor. Might they be packing the trucks tighter to save on trips and thereby gas costs? Workers are saying they are only getting 30 hours a week instead of 40 hours plus overtime. 

While the prices are lower, I have been stocking up on pork for my family. I am taking advantage of the .99 per pound pork butts to cut them into country-style ribs, pork steaks (which I am using in the place of chicken in meals like Tuscan Chicken), buckboard bacon, cubed pork for stir-fries, soups, and stews, etc. I am also saving the bones for seasoning vegetables and making stocks. I render the lard in my oven roaster and save the leftover pieces of fat to flavor beans and vegetables. Then, after those meals are made, the bones and leftover fat go to our dogs who love them. 

***

Since I am making Tuscan Chicken, I need sun-dried tomatoes. Those are pricey when cooking 32 servings, so I am dehydrating homegrown tomatoes to use to save me from purchasing them.