Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Some Wildlife at Contentment Acres

 photo raccoon2_zps146020dd.jpg
Raccoons are always around.

 photo possum_zps2440b44a.jpg
This opossum looks quite ferocious!

 photo groundhog2_zpsc38a8e02.jpg
While we are well aware of their destructive nature, our new groundhog is staying well away from the house, so it's not a problem. This is the first time we've seen one on our place.

 photo IMG_6629_zpsafed69b8.jpg
painted turtle

 photo turkeyvulture_zpsa3ecd8a7.jpg
turkey vulture

 photo 1_zps38d4862a.jpg
Black vulture, taken through the screen window
These are smaller and tend to be more aggressive than the turkey vultures.




Emily came to me and said, "Mom, there are two really, really, really BIG black birds in the side yard."

Me: "It sounds like crows, sweetheart. Go back to your school work."

Emily with a serious you-need-to-check-this-out-to-make-me-feel-safe tone: "Mom, (pause) it's a CREEPY kind of bird."

I did a double take at how close to the window it was. Then I went to see what had it breaking our understanding of "you stay over there and I'll stay over here." My middle children had left the hose on (FOR HOURS-UGH!) and a pond of clean water had formed. This guy and a buddy came to drink!

Of course, when I see a vulture, I remember Caleb's hilarious efforts to catch one. I didn't let him stop taking baths, but he did put effort into it.