Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Food

We ended up with 25 turkeys which average around 22 lbs each. We have cooked all except two which are being saved for Christmas breakfast croissants and Easter dinner. We had two for Thanksgiving dinner, and the rest were pressure canned for quick meals during the year.

A big THANK YOU to John for the $300 worth of food from the restaurant. It was very generous. and the young people really enjoyed the treats!

*************

Every year at this time, I take advantage of the sales in the stores to stock up on turkey and other seasonal items. It just makes good sense. So far this year, I have purchased 21 turkeys at 29¢ a pound and 80 lbs of sweet potatoes at 19¢ a pound. I will pressure can most of it. I might make some dog treats and also dehydrate some of the sweet potatoes.

We were also given a turkey (THANKS RICHARD S.!!!) and three hams (THANKS JOHN G.!!!).

While it seems like a lot of food, it isn't when divided by nine people. It will be gone before I know it which is why I am always looking for a good bargain to keep our food costs down. It comes out to a little over 2 turkeys each, and even some of our single friends buy a couple of turkeys this time of year.

To get the total I need to qualify for the turkeys, I purchase shelf stable on sale items since the freezers are filled to the brim with the turkeys. 

I have not made any bone broth yet though. With the canning jar and lid shortages, I am not sure if I will or not. 

**************

Garden: We have had a hard frost, and it shows on the tender leaves. I wasn't expecting to find my green pepper and tomato plants had kept producing though. I brought in nice little harvest over the weekend that the girls had missed when they looked. FYI, my grandmother use to call it a "mess of" tomatoes or whatever.