Friday, March 15, 2019

My Favorite Child-It's a Running Joke/Truth

I often pick a day and tell all of my children they are my favorite child. I'll start by whispering it to one and then I might text it to another. I make sure I go through them all. I've been doing this long enough that they all know they are my favorite.  

Brandon is my favorite Brandon. There is no one else like him. 
Amanda is my favorite Amanda. There is no one else like her.
Joshua is my favorite Joshua. There is no one else like him.
Caleb is my favorite Caleb. There is no one else like him.
Bethany is my favorite Bethany. There is no one else like her.
Emily is my favorite Emily. There is no one else like her.
Hannah is my favorite Hannah. There is no one else like her.

Each child is a very loved, very special part of our family who fills a spot only they can fill. I make sure to tell them all often. I could not pick one over the other because they are all so unique and have different gifts and talents. I love so much about each of them. 

When they respond to my "You are my favorite." with "I know. One of seven, right?" I tell them, "No, one of 16." That reminds them our gang is larger than we see, and that we have the promise of being reunited. 

They are each my favorite child. I would readily go through hyperemesis gravidarum, as debilitating as it was, to know each of them. If they hurt, I hurt. I would give my life to save theirs. 

Did you, dear reader, know we are each the Father's favorite child?  He knows us as individuals and cares enough about each and every one of us to know the number of hair on our heads. He knows our hurts and stores our tears in a bottle. He pays attention to the details in our hearts and minds. He cares for me, and you, in such a beautiful, tender manner. His love goes far beyond our limited understanding. My prayer today is that you and I both realize the width and depth of His love for us that sets our heart on fire for serving Him by loving others.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another. - John 15:9-17